Saturday, January 14, 2012

Birthday Pie

I don't know when this started in my family, but my Mom never baked birthday cakes for us growing up because we insisted on BIRTHDAY PIE. I know it is a recipe she inherited from my Grandmother. But more than that, it is a happy memory of every birthday I can remember. I am sure it had another name growing up, but for me, it was always Birthday Pie.
It is a meringue pie shell with chocolate mouse and whipped cream inside. Its lovely! I can't believe it, but in honor of my 29th birthday today, I am going to share it with you! Be careful with the recipe, once you start making this, you will not be allowed to stop!

Here's what I needed: 

MERINGUE SHELL
  • 4 egg whites (keep the yolks for later)
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (spice)
  • 1 cup sugar
FILLING
  • 6 oz. chocolate chips (or more)
  • 4 egg yolks (I told you you would need them!)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream 
 
Here's what I did: 

MERINGUE SHELL
  1. Preheat the oven to 300.
  2. Beat the egg whites until stiff (not dry). They should stand at peaks.
  3. Add sugar (SLOWLY) and beat until it looks glossy.
  4. Spread in your pie shell. It should have a deep ring around the edge.
  5. Bake for 1 hour.

    We normally make the shell the day before and refrigerate it overnight. Be careful after it has cooked, fingers are adept at removing small chunks prematurely.

    FILLING
     
  6. Melt chocolate in the microwave.
  7. Beat in egg yolks while still warm (same bowl as the chocolate)
     
  8. New bowl. Beat cream adding sugar slowly (to taste) until stiff. This is homemade whipped cream!
  9. Fold half of the cream into the chocolate GENTLY.

    BUILD THE PIE! 
  10. Spread the chocolate mixture in the pie shell. Add the remaining cream on top (in whatever pattern you choose. We normally spread it around the edge of the pie shell). Chill and Enjoy.

    BE CAREFUL!!!! DO NOT CUT YOUR SLICES TOOOOO BIG. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FINISH THEM. THERE IS A LOT OF SUGAR IN THIS RECIPE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment