It is a meringue pie shell with chocolate mouse and whipped cream inside. Its lovely! I can't believe it, but in honor of my 29th birthday today, I am going to share it with you! Be careful with the recipe, once you start making this, you will not be allowed to stop!
Here's what I needed:
- 4 egg whites (keep the yolks for later)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (spice)
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 oz. chocolate chips (or more)
- 4 egg yolks (I told you you would need them!)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Here's what I did:
- Preheat the oven to 300.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff (not dry). They should stand at peaks.
- Add sugar (SLOWLY) and beat until it looks glossy.
- Spread in your pie shell. It should have a deep ring around the edge.
- Bake for 1 hour.
We normally make the shell the day before and refrigerate it overnight. Be careful after it has cooked, fingers are adept at removing small chunks prematurely.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave.
- Beat in egg yolks while still warm (same bowl as the chocolate)
- New bowl. Beat cream adding sugar slowly (to taste) until stiff. This is homemade whipped cream!
half of the cream into the chocolate GENTLY.
BUILD THE PIE!
- Spread the chocolate
mixture in the pie shell. Add the remaining cream on top (in whatever
pattern you choose. We normally spread it around the edge of the pie
shell). Chill and Enjoy.
BE CAREFUL!!!! DO NOT CUT YOUR SLICES TOOOOO BIG. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FINISH THEM. THERE IS A LOT OF SUGAR IN THIS RECIPE!!!!