After looking for a chocolate cake recipe I had to do what came next. I need a vanilla cake recipe. Clearly. Duh. So I looked for a winning recipe. Simple as that.
So I found this recipe on Your Cup of Cake. I followed her whole recipe, and loved the white chocolate ganache with raspberry buttercream. Recently, I made it again but didn't use the ganache and made a lemon buttercream that was too-die-for! But I thought that the vanilla & lemon didn't work that well together. I thought the vanilla cake turned out a little too dry. So this is the starting recipe. I think I am going add milk next time I cook it but I don't know how much yet... I will let you know! Promise!
What I needed in my kitchen
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 TB + 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 and line muffins pans with cupcake liners (yields 24)
(I think I am going to bake at 350 next time)
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- One slow, add eggs/egg whites one at a time until well combined. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then buttermilk, then another 1/3 dry, sour cream, then last 1/3 dry. Make sure to let fully mix between each addition.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 18-21 minutes, or until and inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean.